Connect with eGuide

Newsletter - weekly travel articles.

 
Sunshine Coast attractions
 

Landsborough

Sunshine Coast hotels

Landsborough is a small town on the Sunshine Coast hinterland. It is situated north of the Glasshouse Mountains just off Steve Irwin Way, 82km north of Brisbane.

Landsborough is situated on the main railway line from Brisbane and there are several services daily southbound to Brisbane and northbound to Nambour and Gympie. It is one of the main rail/bus interchanges for TransLink bus services to the Sunshine Coast.

Landsborough was named for the British born explorer William Landsborough who was the first European to cross Australia north to south. The earliest European settlers arrived in the area in 1871. Originally called Mellum Creek ("mellum is Aboriginal for "volcano"), it dates from 1871 when Isaac Burgess erected a slab hut with bark roof as "port of call" for Cobb and Co coaches stopping for refreshments and a change of horses.

In the past Landsborough was one of the larger towns of the Sunshine Coast having a large logging industry As the timber was harvested from the ranges around Landsborough, dairying, orchards and plantations took over the cleared land. The timber harvest, however, continued for decades, drawing on Witta to the west. In 1924 Pugh's Queensland Directory recorded five sawmillers in the Landsborough district.

Landsborough became the administrative centre of Landsborough Shire, formed in 1912 by severance from Caboolture Shire. The shire council met in Dyer's hall until a rudimentary shire office was built in 1913. Little or no new building happened during World War I, but things came in a rush in the 1920s: a peace memorial park (1922), a school of arts and new shire chambers (both 1924). There were also the Mellum Club Hotel, two stores and many farmers, nearly all fruit growers.

Landsborough township has a shopping centre, three churches, a memorial park, a pub, a school of arts, a hall, a historical museum housed in the heritage-listed former Landsborough Shire Council chambers (1924) and a scout park on the former racecourse.

 
 
 
back to top